I hope everyone has been enjoying a wonderful summer and this letter finds you well. I had a wonderful summer relaxing with family and friends. The highlight for me was a four-day fishing trip to East Grand Lake in Weston, Maine where my boys and I caught some very big fish.
Unlike last year, we had very few people to hire over the summer. Currently, we are awaiting confirmation on replacements for Ms. Nichols, our Spanish teacher, who moved to a position at Casco Bay High School and Ms. Ward, our teacher for English language learners who retired from teaching. Our new staff members will be available during our September Open House for families to meet.
There are many of us who have been working behind the scenes throughout the summer. I’d like to recognize the following people for their efforts:
- Cynthia Beggs has been working to make sure the office is organized and ready to respond to families. Cynthia has spent many hours preparing flyers, letters, and schedules that help keep us organized during the year.
- Liz Meahl who has assisted in updating the website and keeping us current.
- All the teachers who have been in and out of their classrooms preparing their spaces for children.
- Warren Blowers, Tom Rowe, and Greg Roast have been working to prepare the building for the opening of school.
Along with all the work in the school, many of our teachers have worked to grow and refine their teaching practices. All teachers are reading Teaching Reading in Small Groups by Jennifer Serravallo, which will be the focus of our school-based professional development throughout the year. Some teachers attended a workshop, Launching a Reading Workshop, while others will participate in the upcoming weeks in a workshop, The Responsive Classroom.
As we look ahead to the opening of school, please mark your calendars for the following events:
- Our annual Longfellow School Barbecue is scheduled for September 1st from 5:30 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. This event is a wonderful opportunity to connect as the school year begins. Classrooms will also be open and ready for families to view between 5:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. We hope all of you will join us as we celebrate the beginning of a new school year.
- Open House is scheduled for Wednesday, September 16th at 6:30 p.m. This is our only adult-only event during the year and is designed to provide adult family members the opportunity to learn about Longfellow.
Please remember that the school hours have changed this year, and we have attached a notice that can be posted at home to serve as a reminder. We ask that all families make getting children to school on time each day a priority so they are prepared for learning.
I am excited for the new school year to begin, and look forward to seeing each of you, and welcoming your children back to Longfellow!